President Ilham Aliyev holds key meetings with Chinese industry leaders
President Ilham Aliyev held a series of strategic meetings with senior executives from leading Chinese industrial corporations in Tianjin on 31 August...
Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky has invited Russia to hold fresh peace talks next week, calling for urgent progress toward a ceasefire.
In a speech on Friday evening, Zelenskiy said Ukraine had officially invited Moscow to resume negotiations, and that the proposal was delivered by Rustem Umerov, the head of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council. He stressed that “everything must be done to achieve a ceasefire,” accusing Russia of “hiding from decisions.”
Previous talks between the two sides, including two rounds held in Istanbul, have so far produced only limited results, mainly prisoner exchanges, without any progress on ending hostilities. Ukraine is now trying to revive the diplomatic process, even as fierce fighting continues, particularly in eastern regions like Donetsk.
Russia has not yet responded to the latest invitation, though officials in Moscow have said they remain open to dialogue. However, Ukraine and its Western allies remain skeptical, pointing to Russia’s continued insistence on broad territorial demands and its refusal to back down from maximalist positions.
This latest move comes as international pressure intensifies. Former U.S. President Donald Trump recently warned that if Russia does not agree to a deal within 50 days, his potential administration would impose sweeping new sanctions. Zelenskiy’s push for renewed talks may be aimed at seizing the moment before that deadline shifts the political landscape again.
So far, the Kremlin has stayed quiet. It’s unclear whether it will accept Zelenskiy’s offer or continue to wait things out on the battlefield. Either way, the window for meaningful negotiation is narrowing and both sides know it.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Norway will purchase a fleet of British-built frigates to reinforce its naval strength, the government confirmed on Sunday. The move marks a decisive step in what is expected to be the country’s largest-ever military procurement and a significant boost to NATO’s northern maritime defences.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several regional parliament buildings set on fire.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
China’s largest city and global financial hub, Shanghai, has set a new heat record, state media reported on Saturday. Temperatures in the city exceeded 35°C (95°F) for 25 consecutive days, breaking the previous record set in 1926.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment