China hosts largest ever SCO summit as South Caucasus draws attention
The 25th Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit began in Tianjin on 31 August, marking the largest gathering in the bloc’s history, with China dee...
North Korea has stopped foreign tourists from visiting its new Wonsan-Kalma resort just weeks after it welcomed the first Russian visitors.
North Korea has temporarily suspended foreign tourist access to its newly launched Wonsan-Kalma Coastal Tourist Zone, according to an announcement by the state-run DPR Korea Tour website on Wednesday. The beachside resort opened to locals on July 1 and recently hosted a group of Russian visitors. No official reason was given for the halt.
The Wonsan-Kalma site, designed to hold up to 20,000 guests, had been described by leader Kim Jong-un as one of the country’s major achievements this year. However, Pyongyang’s tourism authority said the resort is “temporarily not receiving foreign tourists” and did not indicate when the suspension might end.
The move comes shortly after Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov toured the site and held talks with Kim Jong-un. Lavrov praised the resort and voiced hope that more Russians would visit. But analysts believe Pyongyang may have reconsidered the rollout after a Russian media article suggested many of the locals at the resort may have been mobilized rather than visiting freely.
“The government likely feared reputational damage if the site appeared staged for foreigners,” said Oh Gyeong-seob of the Korea Institute for National Unification. Lee Sangkeun, from the Institute for National Security Strategy, suggested logistical hurdles for Russian tourists may also have influenced the decision.
Despite the suspension, experts believe the restriction may be lifted soon. The Wonsan-Kalma development is expected to play a key role in earning foreign currency, which remains crucial for North Korea’s sanctions-hit economy.
“If foreign tourists aren't allowed, then no hard currency enters, and Pyongyang won’t be able to maintain the resort,” said Ahn Chan-il of the World Institute for North Korean Studies.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Malaysia marked its 68th National Day on Sunday with a vibrant parade in Putrajaya attended by over 14,000 participants and the country’s top leadership.
Norway will purchase a fleet of British-built frigates to reinforce its naval strength, the government confirmed on Sunday. The move marks a decisive step in what is expected to be the country’s largest-ever military procurement and a significant boost to NATO’s northern maritime defences.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several regional parliament buildings set on fire.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment