Head of Red Cross warns mass evacuation of Gaza City impossible amidst Israeli assault
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped u...
Beijing has promised 1 billion yuan (about $137 million) in emergency assistance to Myanmar, where a magnitude-7.7 earthquake on 28 March killed more than 3,600 people and left tens of thousands without shelter, China’s embassy said on Thursday.
The package will pay for food, medicines and prefabricated homes and fund medical, epidemic-control and disaster-assessment teams, according to a statement released during Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s visit to Nay Pyi Taw.
China has already deployed more than 30 specialised rescue units, including field-hospital staff, engineers and sniffer-dog handlers. Its main search-and-rescue contingent returned home on 9 April after completing operations in hard-hit Mandalay, the embassy added.
The Chinese Red Cross has contributed a further 1.5 million yuan (about $206,000), while Beijing has offered to help assess reconstruction costs and draw up rebuilding plans for towns flattened by the quake.
Myanmar’s 28 March tremor was the strongest in the country in nearly a century, toppling buildings and cutting off water and power for hundreds of kilometres. Official figures put the death toll at 3,645, though aid groups say the number of homeless could exceed 250,000.
Diplomats in Yangon say Beijing’s pledge is the largest single foreign contribution so far and reflects China’s growing role in regional disaster relief.
Neighbouring Thailand and India have each sent medical teams and air-lifted blankets and generators, but have yet to detail reconstruction funds.
Myanmar’s interim government has appealed for $800 million in international support, warning that monsoon rains due next month could compound the humanitarian crisis by flooding temporary camps.
China said it would “continue to stand with the Myanmar people” and was ready to dispatch additional teams if after-shocks or landslides hit the quake zone.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped up its military operations.
Russia launched a sweeping attack on Ukraine on Saturday, killing one person and injuring at least 24 others, including three children, in the southeastern city of Zaporizhzhia. The attack also caused significant damage to infrastructure and residential buildings, authorities reported.
Three people were killed and five injured in Indonesia after protesters set fire to a regional parliament building in Makassar. The violence escalated after a police armored vehicle struck and killed a ride-hailing driver in Jakarta, sparking nationwide unrest.
European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said on Saturday that Russia’s frozen assets will not be returned unless Moscow pays reparations for its invasion of Ukraine.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 30th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment