Trump escalates pressure on Venezuela
U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration have stepped up pressure on the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, issuing a series...
U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that the United States will impose a 35% tariff on Canadian imports starting 1 August, increasing the previous rate of 25%. He also revealed plans to introduce blanket tariffs of 15% to 20% on most other trade partners.
In a letter shared on his social media platform, Trump informed Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney of the upcoming tariff hike, warning it could rise further if Canada retaliates. The move deals a setback to Carney, who had been trying to secure a new trade deal with Washington.
An official from the Trump administration noted that exemptions under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) would remain in effect, and existing 10% tariffs on energy and fertilizers were unlikely to change though final decisions were still pending.
Trump used the letter to criticise Canada over trade barriers and accused it of contributing to the flow of fentanyl into the U.S., which he claimed harmed American industries, including dairy. He argued that the U.S. trade deficit with Canada posed a national security risk.
Canadian authorities disputed the fentanyl claim, saying only a very small share of the drug comes from Canada, and that efforts have been made to secure the border.
Trump suggested in his letter that cooperation from Canada on stopping fentanyl imports could prompt a reconsideration of the tariff increase.
Carney’s office did not issue an immediate response, though he recently said both leaders had agreed to finalise a new economic and security pact within 30 days.
Trump has recently expanded his trade agenda, introducing new tariffs on countries such as Japan and South Korea, and a 50% tariff on copper. In an interview with NBC News, he said other nations could soon face similar tariffs even without direct notifications.
“Not everyone needs a letter,” Trump said. “We’re just setting the tariffs. The rest will pay, whether it’s 15% or 20%, we’ll sort that out.”
Canada, the U.S.’s second-largest trade partner after Mexico, purchased $349.4 billion worth of American goods last year and exported $412.7 billion to the U.S., according to U.S. Census Bureau data.
Carney, whose Liberal Party returned to power earlier this year with a focus on resolving U.S. trade tensions, had been working toward a new bilateral agreement by 21 July. While Trump did not mention the status of those talks, he did indicate in the letter that tariff rates could change depending on future relations between the two countries.
Notably, Carney's government recently dropped plans for a digital services tax on U.S. tech companies after Trump abruptly cut off negotiations, calling the proposed tax a "blatant attack."
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop striking the Black Sea terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) after a major drone attack forced a halt to exports and caused serious damage to loading equipment.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
Authorities in Senegal have launched urgent measures to prevent a potential oil spill after water entered the engine room of the Panamanian-flagged oil tanker Mersin off the coast of Dakar.
Venezuela has accused the U.S. of attempting to seize the country’s vast oil reserves through military force, in a move the government says could destabilise the global energy market.
Thousands of people took to the streets on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in over 75 years, as Beijing warned it would crack down on any “anti-China” protests in the aftermath of the blaze.
U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration have stepped up pressure on the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, issuing a series of stern warnings and hinting at possible military operations.
Pope Leo XIV arrived in Beirut on Sunday, marking the second stop of his first overseas trip since becoming pontiff in May. The visit, coming directly from Türkiye, is being hailed as a moment of spiritual encouragement for a nation struggling with deep political and economic crises.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment