Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found ...
Real Madrid have parted ways with coach Xabi Alonso, appointing former defender Álvaro Arbeloa as his replacement.
The move came a day after Madrid lost 3-2 to Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup final in Saudi Arabia.
Alonso, who took charge in June 2025 following Carlo Ancelotti’s departure, leaves after less than eight months at the helm. During his tenure, Madrid struggled for consistency, finishing second in La Liga, four points behind Barcelona, and seventh in the Champions League after six group matches. Reports indicated tension between Alonso and some players amid injury setbacks and poor form.
Arbeloa, 42, has been coaching Real Madrid Castilla since June 2025 and has spent his entire coaching career within the club’s academy since 2020. A former Madrid and Spain full-back, he won two Champions League titles and one La Liga crown with Madrid and was part of Spain’s World Cup-winning squad in 2010 and European Championship victories in 2008 and 2012.
His first match in charge will be a Copa del Rey last-16 tie against second-tier Albacete on Wednesday. Real Madrid did not disclose the length of Arbeloa’s contract.
Alonso had been signed on a three-season deal until June 2028, following a successful spell at Bayer Leverkusen where he won the Bundesliga and guided the team to the Europa League final. Despite occasional victories, including a Clasico win over Barcelona in October, the club ultimately decided to end his tenure by mutual agreement.
Madrid paid tribute to Alonso in a statement, noting his contributions to the club and wishing him well in his future endeavours.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found dead after the attack, authorities have confirmed.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment