Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley kill at least 10
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters,...
Hong Kong International Airport will suspend all passenger flights for 36 hours from Tuesday evening, Qantas Airways said, as the Asian financial hub prepares for one of its strongest super typhoons in years.
Hong Kong's Airport will be closed from 8 p.m. (1200 GMT) on 23 September to 8 a.m. on 25 September, Qantas said in a statement, adding that it would contact customers who are affected.
A spokesperson for Airport Authority Hong Kong said it is closely monitoring the developments regarding the super typhoon, named Ragasa, and has commenced preparations to deal with the storm. But it has not made an official announcement on the closure.
Hong Kong's Observatory said it would issue the lowest typhoon signal at noon on Monday (22 September), upgrading it to the second highest on Monday night between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.
The weather is expected to deteriorate rapidly from Tuesday and gale-force to storm-force winds will impact the densely populated city on Wednesday, with winds expected to reach hurricane force offshore and on high ground.
Across the city, residents started stockpiling daily necessities on Monday morning. Long queues formed at supermarkets where products such as milk had already sold out, while vegetables were being sold for more than triple their normal price at fresh markets, according to Reuters witnesses.
Cathay Pacific Airways, the city's largest carrier, said on Sunday it was closely monitoring the potential impact of the storm and while its flights were not currently affected, that could change as the situation developed.
The Civil Aviation Department did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
The Philippines suspended work and classes across Metro Manila and large parts of the country on Monday as Ragasa moved toward northern Luzon, threatening destructive winds and heavy rain.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Gianni Infantino, president of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), announced a new partnership with the Board of Peace on Thursday (19 February), committing to build football pitches and arenas in Gaza as part of broader efforts to rebuild the region.
Spain’s rail network faces a three-day shutdown this week as the Semaf union protests safety failures following fatal accidents in Adamuz and Catalonia.
Winter weather has brought air travel in the German capital to a complete halt, stranding thousands of passengers as severe icing conditions make runways and aircraft unsafe for operation and force authorities to shut down one of Europe’s key transport hubs.
Air China has announced that it will operate around 70,000 flights during the 2026 Spring Festival travel rush, as China prepares for another surge of holiday travel during its most important annual celebration.
Rome has begun charging tourists 2 euros to step down to the Trevi Fountain’s basin area, a measure aimed at easing overtourism and funding maintenance.
American Airlines plans to resume flights to Venezuela for the first time in more than six years, pending government approval and security assessments. The move follows recent developments involving U.S. military action in the country, the airline said on Thursday (29 January).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment