Trump says he will raise global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) he will raise to 15% the temporary global tariff rate on imported goods imposed after the U...
Georgia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has abolished units working on inter-agency coordination of the European and Euro-Atlantic integration process, which is considered as a part of a broader effort to halt the country’s integration into the European Union.
Tornike Parulava, Director of the Euro-Atlantic Integration Department at Georgia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, announced his dismissal after 24 years in diplomatics service, along with the termination of the entire department, stating it occurred 'without any hand-over or transition plan.'
He claimed that the move was part of a broader effort to dismantle departments responsible for European and Euro-Atlantic coordination in all state institutions. He also revealed that his wife, an employee of the Parliament's Committee on European Integration, was dismissed the same week.
"The units tasked with coordinating interagency and sectoral reforms and communicating them to Brussels have been dismantled," Parulava wrote. "This clearly signals that there is no intention to continue these processes, even in the long term."
He warned that by the time Georgia reaches its stated goal of EU membership in 2028, the country could be even further behind in its integration efforts than it is today.
Parulava also condemned the way the process was handled, describing it as 'inhumane.' He said the dismissals were carried out without prior notice, communication, or any attempt to ease the impact on staff.
"The culmination came at the end of the week — dismissal orders were issued on Saturday night and Sunday, in a conveyor-belt fashion," he said. "The word 'inhumane' probably best describes it all."
According to local media reported, employees who distanced themselves from Georgian Dream’s November 28, 2024 decision to suspend Euro-integration had been dismissed from various public agencies.
On 29th November, Tornike Parulava and dozens of other Ministry of Foreign Affairs employees issued a joint statement, asserting that removing Georgia’s EU accession negotiations from the agenda until 2028 contradicted the country’s strategic interests and violates the constitution.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Gianni Infantino, president of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), announced a new partnership with the Board of Peace on Thursday (19 February), committing to build football pitches and arenas in Gaza as part of broader efforts to rebuild the region.
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
Türkiye is prepared to contribute troops to a proposed international stabilisation force for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Thursday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment