live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
An Israeli air strike and tank shelling killed six Palestinians, including two girls, in Gaza City on Sunday (8 March) in two separate attacks, local health officials say.
Mohamed Abu Selmia, the head of the Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, said three men who died in the incident were near Al-Azhar University in western Gaza City, and included a paramedic Mohammad Hamduna, and two others named as Mohammad Abu Shedeq and Ahmed Lafi.
The strike hit near crowded tent camps where Gazans were sheltering, and wounded several other people, the medics added.
Such attacks have declined since the start of the U.S.- Iran war, although Israeli forces reportedly have killed several Palestinians over the past week.
The Israeli military issued a statement on Sunday about the strike saying they had killed two Hamas members who had been preparing to attack Israeli soldiers, without providing evidence.
No militant group has claimed any of the men as members.
The Israeli military declined to comment in response to Reuters' request for evidence connecting the men to a potential attack.
A little after midnight in the central Gaza Strip, Israeli tank shelling killed at least three people, including two girls, and wounded 10 other people, some of them children, according to health officials at Al-Awda Hospital in Nuseirat camp.
Medics said the tank shells hit a tent encampment, housing displaced families in the western Nuseirat area.
There was no immediate Israeli comment on the reported tank shelling incident.
Israel and Hamas agreed to a U.S.-brokered Gaza ceasefire deal that kicked off last October, but violence has continued on a near-daily basis. Both sides have blamed the other for the violation of the truce agreement.
The Gaza health ministry said at least 640 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since October. Israel says four soldiers have been killed by militants in Gaza over the same period.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Pakistan is deepening engagement with Syria’s new leadership as Israeli strikes add fresh pressure on the country’s fragile political transition, with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani concluding a landmark visit to Islamabad.
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul seeks Belarusian machinery and support to develop domestic manufacturing.
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deepen economic and industrial ties.
Syria says it assured Israel that Türkiye had no plans to establish a military presence at the Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israeli forces struck the site on Tuesday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment