China launches nationwide fire safety inspection after Hong Kong inferno
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at ...
Former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein may be sentenced in New York on 30 September, depending on whether prosecutors move ahead with a retrial over an unresolved rape allegation.
Judge Curtis Farber told a Manhattan court on Wednesday that sentencing on Weinstein’s June conviction for a criminal sex act could proceed next month only if there is no retrial on the 2013 rape charge involving Jessica Mann, a hairstylist and actor. The previous jury was unable to reach a verdict on that count.
Prosecutors have said they are prepared to try the unresolved charge again, with Mann willing to testify. They initially requested a January 2026 trial date, citing scheduling constraints, but Farber pushed for an earlier start, suggesting this autumn.
“The case needs to be tried this year,” Farber said in court. Defence lawyer Arthur Aidala supported holding the retrial as soon as possible.
Any conviction on the rape charge would carry a maximum penalty of four years in prison, less than the time Weinstein has already served.
If held this autumn, the trial would coincide with the closing weeks of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s re-election campaign. Bragg, a Democrat serving his first term, has made prosecuting sex crimes a central priority and has said Mann “deserves” a verdict.
Previously Weinstein, 73, was found guilty in June of sexually assaulting TV and film production assistant and producer Miriam Haley in 2006, an offence carrying a maximum sentence of 25 years. The same jury acquitted him of a separate sexual assault allegation involving former model Kaja Sokola.
Weinstein is already serving a sentence in California after being convicted there of sex crimes in 2022, a decision he is appealing. He denies all allegations of non-consensual sexual activity.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
Rescuers in Sri Lanka are racing against rising floodwaters and treacherous terrain today after a powerful storm system slammed into the island nation, killing at least 46 people and displacing tens of thousands in a disaster that threatens to strain the country’s resources.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
Netflix crashed on Wednesday for about an hour in the U.S. as it launched season five of "Stranger Things", with the service becoming inaccessible to many subscribers within minutes of the episodes going live at 8 p.m. local time.
Iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo's painting 'El sueño (La cama)' sold for $54.7 million at a Sotheby's auction on Thursday, setting a new auction record for the artist and making it the most expensive work by a woman artist ever sold at auction.
Lewis Hamilton has dismissed suggestions of friction within Ferrari after team chairman John Elkann's recent comments that he and teammate Charles Leclerc should "focus on driving and talk less".
Germany has returned 12 royal-era cultural artefacts to Ethiopia in a ceremony in Addis Ababa, marking a formal step in ongoing cultural cooperation between the two countries.
A portrait painting by 20th century Viennese artist Gustav Klimt sold for $236.4 (including fees) at Sotheby's on Tuesday night in what the auction house said was a record for a modern work of art.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment