Uzbekistan and Georgia launch digital permits to speed up freight
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speed...
Electric vehicle manufacturer BYD is under investigation in Brazil after hundreds of Chinese workers were brought into the country on irregular visas to work on a factory construction in Bahia, with many found in "slavery-like conditions," according to labor authorities, Reuters reports.
According to Reuters, electric vehicle producer BYD (Build Your Dreams) faces scrutiny in Brazil after hundreds of Chinese workers were brought into the country on irregular visas, according to a key labor inspector. The workers, who were employed to build a factory in Bahia, were found to be in what Brazilian authorities described as “slavery-like conditions.”
Liane Durao, a labor inspector with Brazil’s Ministry of Labour, told Reuters that 163 workers employed by BYD’s contractor, Jinjiang Group, were rescued in December after authorities discovered they had been working under illegal and abusive conditions. The workers were subsequently sent back to China, with the contractor agreeing to cover the costs of their return.
BYD, which has invested $620 million in its Bahia factory to produce electric vehicles for the Brazilian market, has pledged to comply with Brazilian labor laws for the workers who will remain in the country. Durao confirmed that the company had committed to improving working conditions to meet local standards.
The labor inspector also noted that BYD would be fined for each worker found in violation of the country’s labor regulations, although the total amount of the fine has not been disclosed.
While BYD has denied the allegations and claims the visas were issued properly, the investigation into labor violations has raised concerns about working conditions in Chinese-owned enterprises abroad. The probe into BYD could complicate Brazil's relationship with China, which has become a major investor in the country.
Labor authorities are continuing to monitor the situation, ensuring that no remaining workers are subjected to exploitation as the investigation progresses. The case highlights broader issues surrounding foreign investment in Brazil and local job creation, a priority for President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Once associated mainly with Muslim-majority countries, Islamic finance has become a global industry. Its assets reached around $5.98 trillion in 2025, according to ICD–LSEG, as more countries explore Shariah-compliant finance.
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia’s economy as refinery outages and rising imports weigh on the rouble.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Online fast-fashion platform Shein lost a London copyright lawsuit against rival Temu on Thursday over photographs used to promote some products.
Norway’s $2.3 trillion sovereign wealth fund has revealed a 0.05 per cent stake in SpaceX worth $1.22 billion, marking its first reported holding in Elon Musk’s space company.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment