live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
The White House has indicated that President Donald Trump may push back looming tariff deadlines, signalling flexibility in his approach to ongoing trade talks.
White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Thursday that while negotiations continue, the set deadlines are “not critical.”
“The president can simply offer these countries a deal if they won’t give us one by the deadline,” Leavitt said. “That also means he has the authority to impose a reciprocal tariff rate he believes is best for the United States and the American worker.”
The comment comes as trade talks remain unsettled with several countries. Leavitt noted that U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer is leading discussions and has had “very good and productive” exchanges with major partners.
“There’s a chance the deadline could be extended, but that’s entirely up to the president,” she added.
Trump had earlier threatened to slap a 50% tariff on European Union goods starting 1 June, accusing Brussels of stalling in negotiations. However, after a call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, the deadline was delayed to 9 July.
Separately, a 90-day pause on reciprocal tariffs affecting most nations is due to expire on 8 July. That temporary measure had reduced tariffs to a flat 10% while talks were underway.
With two key deadlines approaching and no clear deal in sight, Trump’s next move remains a closely watched signal for global markets.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment