Trump expresses 'concern' over Ebola as U.S. prepares medical evacuation of American from Africa
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday (May 18) he was "concerned" about Ebola but noted that the virus remains confined to Africa fo...
The U.S. military has repositioned aircraft and naval vessels from key Middle East installations to safeguard personnel and assets amid rising tensions with Iran, two U.S. officials said on Wednesday.
The movements come as President Donald Trump continues to deliberate on whether to support Israel’s air campaign targeting Iran’s nuclear and missile infrastructure. The airstrikes, now in their sixth day, have triggered civilian evacuations in Tehran and increased concerns over regional stability.
In a related development, the U.S. Embassy in Qatar has temporarily restricted access to Al Udeid Air Base, the largest American military facility in the region. The base, located near Doha, plays a central role in U.S. operations across the Middle East.
The embassy cited “ongoing regional hostilities” and advised U.S. citizens and personnel in Qatar to maintain heightened vigilance “out of an abundance of caution.”
Aircraft and Ships Moved
The two U.S. officials, speaking anonymously to Reuters, gave an update on recent movements.
"Aircraft not housed in reinforced shelters were relocated from Al Udeid Air Base. Naval vessels were pulled from a port in Bahrain, home to the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet. It is not an uncommon practice,” one official said. “Force protection is the priority.”
Reuters had earlier reported the redeployment of tanker aircraft to Europe and the movement of additional fighter jets to the region, including the repositioning of an aircraft carrier from the Indo-Pacific toward the Middle East.
Iran Issues Warning
Iran has communicated to Washington via diplomatic channels that any direct U.S. involvement in the Israeli offensive would trigger a strong Iranian response, according to Tehran’s ambassador to the UN in Geneva.
While Israel maintains that Iran was on the brink of acquiring a nuclear weapon—prompting its strikes—Tehran continues to deny that it is pursuing nuclear arms.
As the regional conflict deepens, the U.S. military is adjusting its posture to deter threats and minimize vulnerabilities, while President Trump weighs a decision that could significantly escalate American involvement in the Middle East.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday (May 18) he was "concerned" about Ebola but noted that the virus remains confined to Africa for now.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Samsung Electronics and its South Korean union have narrowed some differences, a mediator in their talks said on Tuesday, as pressure mounts from the government and business groups to avert an imminent and damaging lengthy strike.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment