live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Tensions between Iran and Israel reached a critical point as both nations clashed at an emergency UN Security Council meeting, following a sweeping Israeli strike on Iranian targets that Tehran condemned as state terrorism and a deliberate attempt to sabotage nuclear diplomacy.
Iran and Israel traded accusations of jeopardising global peace during an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council on Friday, convened to address Israel’s recent strikes on Iranian targets.
Earlier that day, Israel launched what it described as a “preemptive strike,” targeting nuclear facilities, senior military officials, and research personnel across several Iranian cities. The attacks marked a sharp escalation in the long-standing hostilities between the two nations.
During the session, Iran’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, denounced the strikes as acts of state terrorism and blatant violations of international law and the UN Charter.
The Israeli operation took place just two days ahead of a planned sixth round of nuclear talks between Iran and the United States, scheduled for Sunday in Muscat, Oman. Tehran has since cancelled its participation, citing the attacks as the reason.
Iravani claimed the strikes were a deliberate attempt by Israel to derail the negotiations and provoke a broader regional conflict.
“These calculated and systematic killings are not only unlawful but deeply inhumane,” he stated. “They amount to acts of state terrorism and are clear violations of international norms.”
He further accused the United States of bearing responsibility for enabling Israel’s actions.
“Those who support this regime—foremost among them the United States—must acknowledge their complicity. By aiding these crimes, they share full accountability for the consequences. Supporting Israel in this context is tantamount to endorsing war crimes, crimes against humanity, and the destabilisation of global peace,” Iravani declared.
Describing the attacks as a de facto declaration of war, Iravani reiterated Iran’s right to self-defence under the UN Charter, stating that Iran would respond in a manner, time, and place of its own choosing.
On the other side, Israeli envoy Danny Danon accused Iran of actively pursuing nuclear weapons capabilities. He argued that Israel was compelled to act due to the failure of international bodies, including the International Atomic Energy Agency, to effectively restrain Tehran’s ambitions.
“This operation was necessary—because the alternative was unacceptable,” Danon said. “How long was the world expecting us to wait? Until they had completed the bomb?”
He added that Iran has long threatened Israel’s existence, and Israel would not remain passive in the face of such threats.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment