Head of Red Cross warns mass evacuation of Gaza City impossible amidst Israeli assault
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped u...
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) has revealed that the number of people forcibly displaced by war, violence, and persecution has reached an unprecedented 122.1 million globally, describing the situation as “untenably high.”
According to UNHCR’s latest Global Trends Report, displacement rose from 120 million last year, continuing a decade-long upward trajectory driven by conflicts in Sudan, Myanmar, Ukraine, and other regions.
Sudan now tops the list with the world’s largest displacement crisis, hosting 14.3 million displaced people — surpassing Syria’s 13.5 million, Afghanistan’s 10.3 million, and Ukraine’s 8.8 million, the report states.
Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, emphasised the urgency of the crisis.
“We are living in a time of intense volatility, marked by acute human suffering," Grandi said. "We must redouble our efforts to search for peace and find long-lasting solutions.”
The report challenges common perceptions by noting that 67% of refugees remain in neighbouring countries, and 60% never cross international borders. Low and middle income nations currently host 73% of the global refugee population.
By the end of 2024, the internally displaced population reached 73.5 million, while refugees numbered 42.7 million.
Despite stagnant funding since 2015, 9.8 million people returned to their homes in 2024, including 1.6 million refugees — the highest return rate in more than 20 years — alongside 8.2 million internally displaced persons.
“Nearly two million Syrians have been able to return home after over a decade uprooted,” Grandi noted, while warning that many returns occur under fragile conditions.
UNHCR called for urgent increased investment to support returns, host communities, and essential humanitarian programmes critical for stability and security.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped up its military operations.
Russia launched a sweeping attack on Ukraine on Saturday, killing one person and injuring at least 24 others, including three children, in the southeastern city of Zaporizhzhia. The attack also caused significant damage to infrastructure and residential buildings, authorities reported.
Three people were killed and five injured in Indonesia after protesters set fire to a regional parliament building in Makassar. The violence escalated after a police armored vehicle struck and killed a ride-hailing driver in Jakarta, sparking nationwide unrest.
European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said on Saturday that Russia’s frozen assets will not be returned unless Moscow pays reparations for its invasion of Ukraine.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 30th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment