live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
In a landmark moment for artists’ rights, Taylor Swift has officially bought back the master recordings of her first six albums, ending a long-running dispute over who controls her music.
Swift announced the news on her website, sharing her joy at finally owning all the music she’s created. “I’ve been bursting into tears of joy ever since I found out this is really happening,” she wrote.
The saga began in 2019 when music manager Scooter Braun purchased Big Machine Records, the label that held the rights to Swift’s early albums — including Taylor Swift, Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, and Reputation. Swift publicly criticized Braun, accusing him of enabling bullying and describing the sale as a betrayal that stripped her of her life’s work.
To fight back, Swift started re-recording her old albums, releasing “Taylor’s Versions” with extra tracks and refreshed sound. She has completed four so far but delayed redoing Reputation due to its deeply personal nature.
Owning the master recordings means Swift now controls how her music is licensed and distributed — from streaming platforms to movies and commercials — giving her greater creative and financial control.
Though the exact cost of buying back her masters hasn’t been disclosed, the catalog’s previous value was estimated in the hundreds of millions.
Swift thanked her fans for their support throughout the years and said her journey has encouraged other artists to insist on owning their work from the start.
“This is not just my victory,” she said. “It’s a new chapter for artists everywhere.”
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Iran says the U.S. war and military presence in the region have worsened marine pollution around the Strait of Hormuz, calling for environmental protection to form part of future arrangements governing the strategic waterway.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
U.S. President Donald Trump has ordered a significant reduction in planned joint military exercises with South Korea, citing their cost and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment