Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
A recent hack of the messaging app TeleMessage exposed messages from over 60 U.S. government officials, including National Security Adviser Mike Waltz. The platform was taken offline as investigations continue, with key figures and the company remaining silent.
A hacker who broke into the messaging platform TeleMessage earlier this month accessed communications from a wider range of U.S. government officials than previously known. The platform had been used by U.S. President Donald Trump national security adviser Mike Waltz and various federal agencies.
According to data reviewed by Reuters, the breach exposed messages from more than 60 government users, including disaster response teams, customs officials, diplomats, a White House staffer, and members of the Secret Service. The leaked messages, which covered roughly a one-day period, were shared by Distributed Denial of Secrets, a nonprofit that publishes hacked materials in the public interest.
While many of the messages were fragmentary, some referenced government travel plans, including visits to the Vatican and Jordan. Reuters was unable to verify the full contents of the leak but confirmed several phone numbers and message recipients, including applicants for aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and a financial services firm.
The breach gained public attention after Waltz was photographed using TeleMessage’s version of the encrypted app Signal during a cabinet meeting on April 30. Waltz had previously drawn headlines for mistakenly adding a journalist to a Signal chat where cabinet officials were discussing airstrikes in Yemen. He was later removed from his role, although Trump nominated him to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
Experts say that even if no secret info was leaked, the data about who talked to whom and when could still help foreign spies.
U.S. government agencies reacted cautiously. The White House acknowledged the incident but offered no further comment. The United States Secret Service said a limited number of its employees used the app and that the matter is under review. FEMA said it had no evidence that its data was compromised. U.S. Customs and Border Protection confirmed it had disabled the platform and launched an investigation. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated it tested the app in 2024 but ultimately chose not to adopt it.
TeleMessage is operated by the Oregon-based company Smarsh. The service was taken offline on May 5 "out of an abundance of caution." The full extent of the breach and officials like Waltz’s use of the platform remain unclear. Neither the company, Waltz, nor the White House have responded to inquiries.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment