WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez announced on Wednesday an additional €2.3 billion (£2 billion) in aid to support reconstruction efforts in the Valencia region following devastating flash floods last month. The floods, caused by torrential rains on 29 October, have been described as the deadliest in Spain’s modern history.
The disaster claimed over 220 lives, with five people still reported missing. The Spanish government has now pledged a total of €16.6 billion (£14.5 billion) in aid to address the crisis, with Sánchez vowing continued support for as long as necessary.
Speaking in parliament, Sánchez defended his government’s response to the catastrophe, which he attributed to climate change. However, he criticised the regional administration, led by Carlos Mazón of the opposition People’s Party, for delays in issuing public warnings and advising residents to stay indoors, despite early alerts from meteorological and hydrography experts.
“Climate change kills,” Sánchez told lawmakers, highlighting the urgency of tackling the climate crisis. “There is something far more dangerous than the climate emergency, and that is denialist governments that, through action or inaction, ignore the devastating effects of climate change.”
Disaster management in Spain falls under the remit of regional governments, but the Valencia floods have sparked a political blame game between the leftist central government and the conservative opposition.
Scientists and meteorologists warn that climate change is exacerbating extreme weather events, with the warming of the Mediterranean increasing water evaporation and contributing to more intense rainfall. Experts believe this phenomenon significantly intensified the recent flooding.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
A potential call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has triggered sharp warnings from China, underlining once again how sensitive Taiwan remains in relations between Beijing and Washington.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment