Ukraine imposes new sanctions targeting Russian maritime and defence supply chains
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals co...
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday proposed direct peace talks with Ukraine in Istanbul on May 15 to address the conflict’s root causes and establish a durable peace, a proposal welcomed by U.S. President Donald Trump.
Speaking from the Kremlin, Putin invited Kyiv to resume negotiations “without any preconditions” and said he would discuss arrangements with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. “Our proposal is on the table,” he said, leaving the decision to Ukraine’s leadership.
U.S. President Donald Trump welcomed the initiative on Truth Social, calling it “a potentially great day for Russia and Ukraine” and expressing hope that the talks could end the “bloodbath” of the conflict.
The proposal followed European leaders’ demand in Kyiv for a 30-day ceasefire or the threat of new sanctions. Putin noted that Russia had earlier suggested pauses—such as a truce during World War II commemorations—that both sides said were breached.
Despite the peace overture, Russia conducted a drone strike on Kyiv overnight, injuring one person and damaging homes, according to Ukrainian officials. Putin said any ceasefire agreed in Istanbul would be a step toward broader negotiations.
Since the 2022 invasion, Russia has set conditions including Ukrainian neutrality and the status of occupied territories. Putin referenced a 2022 draft agreement, which called for Ukraine to forgo NATO membership in return for security guarantees from the U.N. Security Council’s permanent members. “It was not Russia that broke off talks in 2022,” he said. “Russia is ready to negotiate without any preconditions.”
Ukraine’s government had no immediate comment on the proposal. Former President Trump said the United States would focus on reconstruction and trade, while the Biden administration and European leaders continue to support Ukraine’s defense efforts.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment