Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
The swift election of Pope Leo XIV reflects a clear consensus among cardinals for continuity, unity, and a leader capable of bridging divides both within the Church and across the globe.
The rapid conclusion of the conclave that elected Pope Leo XIV—formerly Cardinal Robert Prevost—signals that many voting cardinals had already aligned behind him as the best choice to lead the Catholic Church through turbulent times.
In the days leading up to the vote, both formal and informal discussions among the cardinals repeatedly emphasized the need for "continuity" with Pope Francis’ legacy and greater "unity" among the Church’s increasingly polarized factions. Pope Francis’ outreach to marginalized groups and his focus on social justice left a lasting impression, but there was also recognition of the internal rifts his papacy exposed.
Prevost, a dual citizen of the U.S. and Peru, was seen as a figure who could navigate those tensions. Known for his behind-the-scenes support of Francis, he was viewed as acceptable to both progressive and conservative camps—someone capable of maintaining the spirit of reform while healing internal divisions.
His election also reflects the Church’s awareness of broader global challenges. At a time marked by conflict and inequality, the cardinals sought not only a spiritual leader for Catholics but also a moral voice for humanity. Prevost’s multicultural background and ability to relate to different regions positioned him as a bridge between continents and communities.
During his first address as Pope Leo XIV, his message of “building bridges” and unity echoed Francis’ themes, reaffirming the Church’s commitment to dialogue and inclusivity. While scrutiny of his past is inevitable—on issues ranging from abuse scandals to his positions on social matters—the cardinals' overwhelming support suggests they believe he is ready for the immense responsibilities ahead.
Though challenges abound, his strong mandate after just four rounds of voting gives him a solid foundation for the papacy ahead.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment