live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
President Donald Trump says he still wants to annex Greenland and possibly Canada, but while he won’t rule out the use of force, he claims an attack on Canada is “highly unlikely.”
“I don’t see it with Canada. I just don’t see it, I have to be honest with you,” Trump said during an interview with NBC’s Kristen Welker that aired Sunday on “Meet the Press.”
President Trump left the door open on using force to acquire Greenland and Canada but emphasized that any military action toward Ottawa appears remote — though Greenland remains a more active interest.
“I don’t rule it out,” he said when asked about using force to annex Greenland. “I don’t say I’m going to do it, but I don’t rule out anything. No, not there. We need Greenland very badly. Greenland is a very small amount of people, which we’ll take care of, and we’ll cherish them, and all of that. But we need that for international security.”
Trump has been vocal about acquiring Greenland since his return to the White House. In March, he told a radio host, “We need it. We have to have it.” That same month, Vice President JD Vance visited a U.S. Space Force base on the island, highlighting its mineral wealth and key Arctic location.
Canada has been a less urgent target but still features prominently in Trump’s vision. He’s repeatedly floated the idea of turning it into a 51st state — something former Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau once described as a genuine concern.
In the NBC interview, Trump softened his tone, saying, “I don’t see it with Canada. I just don’t see it, I have to be honest with you.” Still, his repeated provocations helped trigger a political shift in Canada, where Mark Carney and the Liberal Party won a fourth consecutive term in last week’s election. Conservative Pierre Poilievre not only lost his lead in the polls but also his own seat.
“These are not idle threats,” Carney said after Trump’s election victory. “President Trump is trying to break us so that America can own us. That will never, ever happen. But we also must recognize the reality that our world has fundamentally changed.”
Trump and Carney are scheduled to meet at the White House on Tuesday.
Asked by Welker whether he would discuss a merger with Canada, Trump said, “I’ll always talk about that. You know why? We subsidize Canada to the tune of $200 billion a year. We don’t need their cars. In fact, we don’t want their cars. We don’t need their energy. We don’t even want their energy. We have more than they do.”
His claim about a $200 billion subsidy — likely based on a misreading of the U.S.-Canada trade deficit — has been widely disputed, yet Trump continues to reference the number.
“And, if you look at our map, if you look at the geography — I’m a real estate guy at heart. When I look down at that without that artificial line that was drawn with a ruler many years ago,” he added. “Was just an artificial line, goes straight across. You don’t even realize. What a beautiful country it would be. It would be great.”
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment