Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
Fresh allegations have emerged accusing El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele of having struck clandestine agreements with the country’s most notorious gangs to advance his political ambitions — claims his administration vehemently denies.
In an interview with investigative outlet El Faro, Carlos Cartagena Lopez, alias “Charli de IVU,” a leader of the Barrio 18 gang, alleged that Bukele entered into covert arrangements with gang leaders beginning in 2014, during his tenure as mayor of San Salvador. Cartagena claimed these dealings continued up to his successful presidential campaign in 2019.
Similar claims were echoed by Elmer Canales Rivera, known as “El Crook,” a high-ranking figure in the MS-13 (Mara Salvatrucha) gang, who told El Faro that the gangs supported Bukele’s political rise.
The allegations have reignited scrutiny over Bukele’s approach to security, which has drawn both international condemnation for alleged human rights abuses and praise domestically for reducing violent crime.
Controversial release raises questions
The controversy deepened following reports that Cartagena was released from custody shortly after being detained at a police checkpoint in April 2022. His unexpected release raised concerns among local media and critics of the administration, with some pointing to it as potential evidence of political favoritism or clandestine cooperation.
In response, the Salvadoran government issued a firm denial, rejecting the claims as baseless. Officials emphasized the administration’s aggressive campaign against organized crime, which Bukele launched through a state of emergency declared on March 27, 2022.
Under this crackdown, more than 85,000 individuals accused of gang involvement or related crimes have been arrested. The measure, which suspends certain constitutional rights, has been extended multiple times and remains in effect.
National and international reactions
While the allegations remain unproven, they have further polarized public opinion in El Salvador. Bukele’s supporters argue that the accusations are politically motivated and aimed at undermining the country’s security progress, while human rights organizations and opposition figures have called for an independent investigation.
International observers have previously voiced concern about the democratic backsliding and transparency issues under Bukele’s government, particularly following his consolidation of power in the judiciary and legislature.
As El Salvador prepares for its next general elections, the new claims threaten to cast a long shadow over Bukele’s administration and its controversial anti-gang policies, which have defined his presidency to date.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment