Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membe...
Stellantis is pausing production in Mexico and Canada and laying off U.S. workers after Trump’s expanded tariffs hit the auto industry.
Automaker Stellantis says it is pausing production at one assembly plant each in Mexico and Canada, and temporarily laying off 900 workers at five U.S. facilities, following the announcement of tariffs by U.S. President Donald Trump.
This comes as Trump expanded tariffs to a 10% baseline on all imports. These levies follow the 25% duties on auto imports announced last week, which sent shockwaves through the global auto industry.
In a letter to employees, Antonio Filosa, Stellantis' chief operating officer for the Americas, said the company is "continuing to assess the medium- and long-term effects of these tariffs on our operations, but also have decided to take some immediate actions."
Stellantis said the Toluca Assembly plant in Mexico, where the Jeep Compass and Jeep Wagoneer S are produced, will shut down for the month of April. Workers at Toluca will continue to report to work and receive pay but will not produce vehicles.
Mexico’s President Claudia Sheinbaum said the production pause at the Stellantis plant in Mexico is temporary and that the company is not planning job cuts, following discussions with the firm through Economy Secretary Marcelo Ebrard.
While goods from Mexico and Canada that comply with the trade agreement between the three countries will largely remain exempt under Trump's order, auto exports, along with steel and aluminum, fall under separate tariff policies.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment