South Korea seeks talks after Trump orders cut to U.S. military drills
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military...
A South Korean village leader tragically died while trying to help his family and neighbours as wildfires swept through Yeongyang, claiming at least 28 lives.
As the flames of a devastating wildfire surged towards the town of Samui-ri in South Korea’s mountainous southeast this week, a village leader, known only by his surname Kwon, hurried home in an attempt to assist his family and neighbours.
Tragically, his body, along with those of his wife and another family member, was discovered hours later on Tuesday near the burnt-out remains of their car on the road leading to the village. The settlement itself was spared, yet South Korea’s worst wildfires in recent history claimed at least 28 lives.
“The fire was so dense he couldn’t see where he was going … He was the head of the village and felt it was his duty to return,” said his next-door neighbour, 71-year-old Moon Han-sick.
Dressed in a black suit and tie as a mark of mourning, Moon joined fellow residents on Friday at a temporary memorial of white flowers in Kwon’s front yard, ahead of the funeral for the victims.
“He did all the hard work in the village … The elderly struggle with farming and aren’t skilled with machinery, so he would simply step in and help,” Moon told Reuters.
Kwon would often bring him gifts of home-grown produce, including peppers and cabbage, he added.
The 65-year-old was among six people who perished in Yeongyang, a county with a population of roughly 15,000 spread across 816 square kilometres (315 square miles) of mountainous terrain, blanketed in pine forests and dotted with towering white wind turbines.
The fire moved with such speed that it reached people’s homes within minutes of the first warning, with some villagers only alerted by those fleeing from neighbouring areas.
Rain, and at one point even snow, fell in Yeongyang on Friday, bringing an end to the disaster as authorities confirmed the fires in North Gyeongsang province had been contained after nearly a week of devastation.
“The victims were completely trapped,” said county governor Oh Do-chang, who declared five days of mourning.
“Some lost their lives while having dinner as their homes were suddenly engulfed in flames, while others died trying to warn others of the approaching fire.”
Kwon leaves behind grieving loved ones, an empty house, and the newly planted apple trees in his field.
“He was always devoted and selfless,” said his tearful relative, 55-year-old Woo Seung-ho. “I hope you are at peace in heaven—until we meet again.”
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment