Kazakhstan condemns Ukraine drone attacks on CPC terminal
The Government of Kazakhstan has condemned Ukraine’s latest drone strikes on a Caspian Pipeline Consortium terminal on the Russian Black sea....
A sweeping blackout has hit Chile, stranding commuters, paralyzing countless businesses and leaving most of the South American nation without electricity.
A sweeping blackout struck Chile on Tuesday, stranding commuters, disrupting traffic, halting businesses, and leaving millions without power across the nation.
The National Electrical Coordinator, Chile’s grid operator, reported a failure in a high-voltage transmission line that transports power from the Atacama Desert in northern Chile to Santiago in the central valley. However, the exact cause of the disruption that led to the extensive power outage remains unknown. The blackout affected regions from the northern port city of Arica to the agricultural hub of Los Lagos in the south.
Chile’s national disaster response agency, Senapred, confirmed that a "disruption in the supply of electricity" had triggered a "massive power outage" across 14 of the country's 16 regions, including Santiago, home to approximately 8.4 million people. Authorities announced the suspension of subway services in the capital until further notice.
Interior Minister Carolina Tohá stated that hospitals, prisons, and government buildings had switched to backup generators to maintain essential operations. During a press conference, Tohá urged the public to remain calm, assuring that officials were working urgently to restore power nationwide.
“This is affecting the entire electrical system of the country,” she said, referring to the failure of the 500-kV backbone transmission line. She warned that if power was not fully restored by sunset, the government would implement emergency measures to mitigate the crisis.
One of Chile’s main electricity distributors, Saesa, which serves over a million people, confirmed that all its customers had been impacted by the outage.
Authorities began evacuating passengers from darkened subway tunnels and stations in Santiago and other cities, including the coastal tourist destination of Valparaiso. Videos on social media captured scenes of chaos, with non-functioning traffic lights causing confusion at intersections, people using mobile phone flashlights to navigate underground metro stations, and police officers assisting in office evacuations.
Transport Minister Juan Carlos Muñoz advised residents to stay home, warning that "it’s not a good time to go out since the transport system is not operating normally." He noted that only 27% of city traffic lights were functional.
Mobile phone services also experienced disruptions in parts of the country. Meanwhile, Santiago International Airport authorities reported switching to emergency power to ensure flight operations continued without interruption.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
The Government of Kazakhstan has condemned Ukraine’s latest drone strikes on a Caspian Pipeline Consortium terminal on the Russian Black sea.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave no further details.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment