Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
n 2024, Russian courts imposed fines on Google LLC four times, totaling 15.1 million rubles ($172,300), according to the press service of the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology, and Mass Media (Roskomnadzor).
In particular, the company was fined for failing to remove extremist content, false information, materials encouraging unrest, content related to VPN services, and other illegal material on YouTube.
On February 17, Moscow court charged Google 3.8 million rubles ($41,560) for for hosting content on YouTube that included videos instructing Russian soldiers how to surrender, "extremist content and calls for mass riots",- Russia's TASS news agency reported
For several years, Russia has required foreign technology platforms to remove content it considers illegal, including what it describes as 'fake' information about the war in Ukraine. When companies fail to comply, authorities impose small but recurring fines.
Last year, Google won an injunction from London's High Court to prevent the enforcement of Russian judgments against the U.S. tech giant over the closure of various Google and YouTube accounts.
A series of civil judgments from Russia against Google were made during April 2021 and June 2023 related to termination of online services – including use of Gmail accounts and You Tube channels – in response to the imposition of international sanctions. An estimate of the accumulated total of judicial penalties exceeded £1.85 octillion, a number with 36 zeroes – a figure which, was noted at the court as “about 20 trillion times greater than the estimated GDP of all the economies in the world.”
The Kremlin said that Russia’s huge fines imposed on Google were largely symbolic and designed to spur the US tech company into lifting restrictions on Russian YouTube channels.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment