WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Mae Sot, Thailand, February 20, 2025 – A group of 50 Chinese nationals, extricated from scam centres in Myanmar, crossed into Thailand on Thursday and boarded a flight home as part of a multinational effort to repatriate approximately 600 Chinese victims.
The group, rescued from facilities on the Thai-Myanmar border, was escorted by armed soldiers at the Mae Sot crossing from the town of Myawaddy, a hotspot for criminally operated scam compounds.
Regional police official Raveepat Amornmuneepong confirmed that “all 50 have boarded the plane that the Chinese government arranged,” adding that Chinese authorities plan to sift through the group to identify victims trafficked into illegal online operations. “There are four flights today,” he said.
For years, criminal gangs have trafficked hundreds of thousands of people to scam centres across Southeast Asia, where victims are forced to work in illicit online scams, according to United Nations reports. The recent extraction at Mae Sot is part of Thailand’s renewed effort, supported by Beijing, to dismantle these compounds following high-profile rescues, including that of Chinese actor Wang Xing—who was lured with false promises of an acting job and later rescued from the Myawaddy area. Wang’s case ignited widespread public interest in China and spurred a grassroots initiative that compiled the names of nearly 1,800 Chinese reported to have been trafficked into Myanmar.
The multinational repatriation effort also involves authorities from Myanmar, where the junta has detained more than 1,500 people in the Myawaddy area, with state media reporting 250 detentions on Wednesday. “Officials are working with relevant agencies to collect personal information of these individuals for prompt repatriation,” said a report in the Global Light of Myanmar.
Among those rescued in earlier operations, some survivors of scam centres—part of a group of 260 who returned last week from Myawaddy and are now sheltering in a military camp—recounted suffering cuts and bruises from beatings and electrocution.
In total, nearly 7,000 people rescued from scam compounds in Myanmar are awaiting transfer to Thailand, according to Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra. The coordinated repatriation underscores growing regional efforts to combat the human trafficking networks that exploit vulnerable individuals across Southeast Asia.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
A potential call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has triggered sharp warnings from China, underlining once again how sensitive Taiwan remains in relations between Beijing and Washington.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment