Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found ...
Three Venezuelan migrants detained in New Mexico have asked a federal judge to block their potential transfer to Guantanamo Bay, fearing indefinite detention at the U.S. military base. The men, who fled Venezuela seeking asylum, claim their prolonged detention violates U.S. law.
The Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed the request on behalf of the men, saying they have not yet been ordered to Guantanamo, but fear the possibility as the Trump administration expands migrant detention capacity.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has not confirmed any plans to send the men to the base, where the U.S. plans to house up to 30,000 migrants.
President Donald Trump announced the expansion of migrant detention at Guantanamo Bay in late January, a move critics say raises human rights concerns. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has also demanded access to migrants already transferred there, citing lack of transparency over their status.
One of the detainees, Abrahan Barrios Morales, expressed fear about being sent to the base. “I fear being taken to Guantanamo because the news is painting it as a black hole,” he said in a statement released by CCR.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has provided limited details on detainees already sent to the base. Last week, officials confirmed that around 10 migrants were flown to Guantanamo, reportedly linked to the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua, but did not disclose criminal charges or convictions.
The legal battle comes as the Trump administration ends deportation protections for hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans, adding to uncertainty for those seeking asylum in the U.S.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found dead after the attack, authorities have confirmed.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment