Moscow fuel queues add to pressure on Russia’s rouble
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia&...
Heavy rains in Bolivia have killed 23 people and displaced over 109,000 families since November, with authorities warning of further risks as flooding worsens across multiple regions.
Since November, relentless rains in Bolivia have led to widespread devastation, claiming 23 lives and forcing over 109,000 families from their homes, an official confirmed on Wednesday.
Deputy minister of civil defence Juan Carlos Calvimontes stated that flooding has intensified over the past week, with the death toll rising from 19 to 23. The worst-affected areas include Chuquisaca, La Paz, Tarija, Cochabamba, Santa Cruz and Potosi. Two people remain missing.
The number of affected families has surged dramatically, increasing from 84,029 to 109,156. According to official figures, 76 municipalities and 1,314 communities have suffered damage, with 652 homes affected—332 of which have been completely destroyed.
The department of La Paz declared a state of emergency last month as conditions worsened in multiple municipalities. Authorities warn that the situation may deteriorate further, with the national service of meteorology and hydrology predicting continued heavy rainfall in the coming weeks.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment