live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Two shallow earthquakes hit a remote area of China's Qinghai province on Tuesday, with authorities reporting no casualties or collapsed buildings so far.
The first earthquake, with a magnitude of 5.7, struck Xinghai County in northwestern China's Qinghai province at 11:16 a.m. local time (03:16 GMT), according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
A second, slightly stronger 5.8-magnitude quake followed about 18 minutes later at the same site, the centre said. Both earthquakes had a focal depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 miles).
The epicentre was in a sparsely populated, high-altitude area about 244 kilometres (152 miles) from Xining, Qinghai's provincial capital. State-run Xinhua news agency said noticeable tremors were felt in Xining.
Authorities had not received reports of casualties or building collapses, and public order remained stable overall, Xinhua reported. Emergency response teams were travelling to the epicentre.

Local Chinese reports, including Xinhua and China Daily, also cited the China Earthquake Networks Centre as saying the 5.8-magnitude quake was monitored at 35.35 degrees north latitude and 99.58 degrees east longitude.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment