Black Sea attacks choke grain exports and drive up global prices
Escalating attacks on Black Sea ports, cargo vessels and export infrastructure have crippled a vital global grain trade route, threatening supplies...
Britain has accused a Russian military aircraft of making an "unsafe and unprofessional" approach towards the aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales in the Norwegian Sea, prompting Royal Air Force fighter jets to intercept the aircraft.
The incident occurred on 2 July while the UK-led carrier strike group was operating under NATO command in the High North, where allied forces have increased their presence amid heightened tensions with Russia.
According to the UK Ministry of Defence, a Russian Bear-F maritime patrol aircraft flew at low altitude and came "unnecessarily close" to HMS Prince of Wales.
The ministry said the aircraft also released a number of sonobuoys, devices used to detect and track submarines, in close proximity to the carrier.
In response, two F-35 fighter jets launched from HMS Prince of Wales intercepted the Russian aircraft and escorted it away from the area.
The encounter comes just before NATO leaders meet in Ankara, where member states are expected to discuss strengthening the alliance's deterrence posture and pledge €70 billion in military assistance for Ukraine in 2026.
The alliance has expanded military activity across northern Europe following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine and growing concerns over security in the North Atlantic and Arctic regions.
Britain's carrier strike group is currently deployed in the Norwegian Sea as part of NATO operations designed to reinforce security across the High North.
Earlier this year, the UK also deployed naval assets to protect undersea cables and energy infrastructure after monitoring Russian submarine activity in and around British waters.
In a separate statement, the Ministry of Defence said Defence Minister Dan Jarvis recently visited UK personnel aboard HMS Prince of Wales while it was operating near Iceland.
The latest encounter underscores continuing military friction between NATO and Russia as both sides maintain an increased operational presence across northern European waters.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Escalating attacks on Black Sea ports, cargo vessels and export infrastructure have crippled a vital global grain trade route, threatening supplies to food-importing nations and driving prices higher.
Türkiye on Wednesday rejected Israel’s justification for striking a Syrian airbase near its border, calling the claims “untenable” as tensions between the two countries rise over Syria.
Uzbekistan plans to open a logistics centre at Georgia’s port of Poti by 2027, with capacity to handle up to 500,000 tonnes of cargo a year, as Tashkent strengthens transport links through the South Caucasus.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment