live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Damascus International Airport has resumed international flights . The reopening follows a month-long closure amid political changes and ongoing conflict in Syria.
Syria's Damascus International Airport resumed international flights on January 7 following a closure in early December due to the ongoing conflict.
The airport had been temporarily shut down on December 8 amid the fighting associated with the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's government. However, flight operations were gradually reinstated on December 17 after the political changes earlier that month.
On January 7 a Qatar Airways flight landed at the airport, marking the first international flight from the airline to Damascus in over 13 years. This return of international flights followed earlier smaller-scale operations by airlines such as Iran’s Meraj Airlines and Syria’s Cham Wings before the airport’s closure.
Employees had been preparing the airport for the resumption of international services.
In addition to the return of international flights, a domestic flight between Damascus and Aleppo, Syria's second-largest city, also took place, marking the first service between the two cities since the airport's closure.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment