UK summons Israeli diplomat over E1 settlement tender
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in t...
Former President Martin Vizcarra is sentenced to 14 years in prison after a Peruvian court found him guilty of accepting bribes while governor of the southern Moquegua region from 2011 to 2014.
Vizcarra allegedly received $676,000 from construction firms in exchange for awarding public works contracts, according to the ruling.
Vizcarra denied the charges throughout the trial, which began in October 2024, claiming he was the target of political persecution.
He became president in 2018 following the resignation of his predecessor but was removed by Congress two years later amid graft investigations.
The verdict adds to a growing list of former Peruvian leaders facing jail time for corruption. Alejandro Toledo and Ollanta Humala are already serving sentences, while Pedro Castillo is in detention on rebellion charges.
Vizcarra’s lawyer, Erwin Siccha, announced plans to appeal the ruling and requested the suspension of the sentence’s provisional execution.
Meanwhile, Vizcarra’s older brother, Mario, is running in the April 2026 presidential election for the "Peru First" party, where the former president remains a key advisor.
Peru has experienced political instability in recent years, cycling through six presidents since 2018, with many removed amid corruption scandals. The court’s decision underscores ongoing concerns over governance and accountability in the country.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
The grandmother of five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab has rejected an Israeli military investigation into her killing, saying the family does not trust the Israeli judiciary and calling instead for an independent international probe.
Lebanon has handed over former Syrian Major General Adel Issa to authorities in Damascus, where he faces charges including premeditated murder and torture resulting in death, Syria’s Interior Ministry said on Wednesday.
Iran has rejected UAE allegations that it fired two ballistic missiles towards the Gulf state, as tensions rise over military activity, trade and the Strait of Hormuz.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment