Morning Brief - 20 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments. ...
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has unveiled a major development project near Mecca’s Grand Mosque that will add approximately 900,000 new indoor and outdoor praying spaces, according to the company overseeing the plan.
The 12-million-square-meter (4.6-square-mile) mixed-use development, named “King Salman Gate,” is designed to enhance access to the Grand Mosque Islam’s holiest site and the centerpiece of the annual Haj pilgrimage.
Millions of muslim faithfuls from around the world visit the site yearly to fulfil their Islamic obligations and pray.
The Rua AlHaram AlMakki Company, tasked with delivering the project, said the initiative will significantly improve the experience of worshippers visiting Mecca, though it did not disclose the project’s cost or completion date.
The launch marks another step in Saudi Arabia’s sweeping Vision 2030 transformation strategy, which aims to diversify the kingdom’s economy beyond oil by investing heavily in tourism, infrastructure, and real estate.
The Haj and year-round Umrah pilgrimages are central to Saudi Arabia’s economy. The kingdom aims to host 30 million pilgrims annually by 2030, building on the estimated $12 billion in revenue generated from Haj and Umrah in 2019, according to official figures.
In a related move earlier this year, Saudi Arabia’s Capital Market Authority announced it would allow foreign investment in listed companies owning real estate within Mecca and Medina, marking a significant shift in policy intended to stimulate growth and attract global investors to the holy cities.
The Grand Mosque, known as Al-Masjid al-Haram, remains the spiritual heart of the Islamic world, housing the Kaaba — the most sacred site in Islam.
The new “King Salman Gate” development is expected to play a central role in accommodating the growing number of pilgrims as Saudi Arabia expands its religious tourism infrastructure.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment