Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
Canada's government is sending more asylum-seekers hoping to file claims in Canada back to the U.S. under a bilateral pact, even as the U.S. says it may deport them to third countries.
Some of the people Canada is turning back should be eligible to file refugee claims in Canada, lawyers say, under exemptions to the Safe Third Country Agreement.
The agreement broadly requires asylum-seekers at the Canada-U.S. border to be sent back to the first of the two countries they entered but allows some people - for example those with close family in Canada or stateless persons - to file claims.
Canada turned back 3,282 people under the agreement in the first eight months of 2025, up from 2,481 in the first eight months of 2024, according to data from the Canada Border Services Agency.
It turned back 789 people in July, the highest month of 2025 so far and the highest single month in at least a decade. The agreement was expanded in 2023.
A Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson declined to say why the number of asylum-seekers turned back is rising.
Meanwhile the U.S. Department of Homeland Security says it intends to deport some asylum-seekers Canada turns back to countries not their own if their asylum claims are not successful and their home countries will not accept them.
Another Canadian border agency spokesperson, asked about the risk of third-country removal, said the agency's involvement ends when asylum-seekers enter the care of U.S. authorities.
Since returning to office in January, U.S. President Donald Trump has sought to speed up deportations, including by sending migrants to third countries.
“If their home country will not take them, we will make arrangements for them to go to another country," department assistant secretary Tricia McLaughlin wrote in an email in response to questions about asylum-seekers turned back from Canada.
Reuters spoke with lawyers and relatives for two people who were turned back by Canada, detained in the U.S. and say they were threatened with removals to third countries.
Negassi, 50, had lived in the U.S. for two decades under authorizations the U.S. government provided her to work as a nurse because they could not deport her to Eritrea.
She brought DNA tests to the border proving she had a younger brother in Ontario, only to be turned back and detained for two months in Texas.
"The stakes have become so high," her lawyer Heather Neufeld said, "because if someone is returned, we know that detention is more likely than not."
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment