live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
The Israeli military said on Wednesday it was opening an additional route for 48 hours that Palestinians could use to leave Gaza City as it stepped up efforts to empty the area of civilians and confront thousands of Hamas troops.
Hundreds of thousands of people are sheltering in the city and many are reluctant to follow Israel's orders to move south because, they say, the dangers along the way, the dire conditions, a lack of food in the southern area, and fear of permanent displacement.
"Even if we want to leave Gaza City, is there any guarantee we would be able to come back? Will the war ever end? That's why I prefer to die here, in Sabra, my neighbourhood," Ahmed, a school teacher, said by phone.
At least 30 people were killed across the Strip on Wednesday in Israel's latest strikes, including 19 in Gaza City, local health authorities said.
A day after Israel announced the launch of a ground offensive to seize control of the main urban centre, tanks had moved short distances towards the city's central and western areas from three directions, but no major advance was reported.
An Israeli official said military operations were focused on getting civilians to head south and that fighting would intensify over the next month or two.
The official said Israel expected around 100,000 civilians to remain in the city, which would take months to capture, and the operation could be suspended if a ceasefire was reached with the Hamas militant group.
The prospects of a ceasefire appear remote after Israel attacked Hamas' political leaders in Doha last week, infuriating Qatar, a co-mediator in ceasefire talks.
Despite global criticism of the attack, include criticism from an ally U.S., Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel will strike Hamas "wherever they are."
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio during his Doha visit said there was "a very short window of time" in which a ceasefire could happen, potentially referring to Israel's statements about stopping Hamas by force.
Meanwhile, the diplomatic response continues to evolve within the European Union. On Wednesday, the European Commission proposed suspending free-trade arrangements for Israeli goods due to the war. However, the measure currently lacks sufficient support among bloc members to pass.
EU Foreign Policy Chief Kaja Kallas also proposed a package of sanctions targeting two Israeli ministers, violent settlers, and Hamas members.
It's reported that Netanyahu has said these EU sanctions "won't have much effect."
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment