Russian missile strike on Kyiv kills 12, Poland activates air defences
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two do...
President Donald Trump has suggested that a deal has been struck over TikTok’s U.S. ownership, days before scheduled talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
U.S. President Donald Trump hinted on Monday that a resolution has been reached over TikTok, the popular video-sharing platform owned by China’s ByteDance, which has faced mounting pressure to divest its U.S. assets.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote: “A deal was also reached on a ‘certain’ company that young people in our Country very much wanted to save.” He did not name TikTok directly but appeared to refer to the ongoing dispute over the app’s ownership and national security concerns.
The remarks come just days before Trump is due to speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday, amid broader tensions over trade and data security.
Trump’s administration has repeatedly extended a deadline for ByteDance to sell TikTok’s U.S. operations or face a ban, with the most recent deadline set for 17 September. More than 170 million Americans reportedly use the platform.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment