live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will travel to China next week to attend a military parade marking Japan’s surrender in the Second World War, state media reported, in what is set to be the most significant multilateral diplomatic gathering he has ever joined.
Kim’s visit comes at the invitation of Chinese President Xi Jinping, according to North Korea’s official news agency KCNA.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is subject to an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court (ICC) over alleged war crimes in Ukraine, will also attend the event. China is not a member of the ICC, and Putin has already visited Beijing since the warrant was issued in 2023.
No major Western or EU leaders are expected among the 26 foreign heads of state and government confirmed by China’s foreign ministry, with the exception of Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico.
“It is quite rare for Kim to take part in a Victory Day ceremony, and this may be the first occasion he attends an event of this scale, where he can meet Putin, Xi and Vietnam’s Communist Party chief at the same time,” said Yang Moo-jin, president of the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul.
Yang added: “Kim will aim to elevate his standing as a global leader, while North Korea, China and Russia may use the occasion to present a joint front against growing cooperation between South Korea, Japan and the United States.”
North Korea remains subject to sweeping international sanctions over its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes, which breach United Nations Security Council resolutions. Yet analysts say the measures have weakened in impact as Pyongyang has drawn closer politically, militarily and economically to Russia and China.
China has long been North Korea’s principal ally and key economic supporter, though it joined other nations, including the U.S., in imposing sanctions on Pyongyang in 2017. While Xi and Kim met repeatedly in 2018 and 2019, relations cooled from 2020, reportedly over Beijing’s push to repatriate North Korean workers.
Since then, Pyongyang has strengthened its military ties with Moscow, sending a record number of weapons and troops to aid Russia in its war against Ukraine.
South Korea will also be represented in China, with parliamentary speaker Woo Won-shik expected to attend the parade. Asked if Woo would meet Kim or other North Korean officials, his spokesperson said no such plans were currently scheduled.
South Korea’s presidential chief of staff Kang Hoon-sik confirmed on Thursday that Seoul had been aware of Kim’s attendance. Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said it was the first time Kim was participating in such a multilateral event, which might help pave the way for renewed dialogue.
“We must continue efforts to bring North Korea to the table… with the ultimate aim of achieving denuclearisation,” Cho said.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment