Punch, a baby monkey abandoned by its mother, goes viral after befriending a stuffed orangutan
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy followin...
SoftBank has taken a $2 billion equity stake in Intel, becoming its sixth-largest shareholder as the U.S. chipmaker seeks to recover from mounting losses.
Intel will issue new common shares to accommodate the $2 billion (about £1.57 billion) investment from Japan’s SoftBank, which is acquiring the stock at $23 per share, the companies said on Monday. The move gives SoftBank an equity stake of just under 2%, according to an Intel spokesperson.
The Tokyo-based tech investor will not seek a seat on Intel’s board or commit to buying its chips, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters. SoftBank’s holding will make it Intel’s sixth-largest shareholder, based on LSEG data.
Shares in Intel rose 5.6% in after-hours trading following the announcement, while SoftBank stock fell more than 5% in Tokyo on Tuesday.
SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son said the investment “reflects our belief that advanced semiconductor manufacturing and supply will further expand in the United States, with Intel playing a critical role.”
The deal comes as Intel attempts a turnaround after years of underperformance and strategic missteps that left it lagging in the fast-growing artificial intelligence chip market. The firm reported a loss of $18.8 billion in 2024 — its first annual loss since 1986.
Last week, reports emerged that the U.S. government is considering a 10% stake in Intel following a meeting between Intel’s new CEO Lip-Bu Tan and President Donald Trump. Tan’s appointment has drawn scrutiny over his previous ties to Chinese firms. However, the SoftBank deal is unrelated to that meeting, a source said.
SoftBank has made a series of large-scale Artificial Intelligence (AI) related investments in 2025, including a $30 billion commitment to OpenAI and a $500 billion plan for the Stargate U.S. data centre project. On Monday, Taiwan’s Foxconn said it would manufacture data centre equipment with SoftBank in Ohio as part of the Stargate initiative.
SoftBank declined to provide further comment on the Intel deal when contacted by Reuters.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment