live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
SpaceX's Starlink experienced one of its most significant global outages on Thursday due to an internal software malfunction that left tens of thousands of users without service. The disruption, which began around 3 p.m. EDT (1900 GMT), affected users primarily in the United States and Europe.
According to Downdetector, a platform that tracks service issues, over 61,000 users reported problems during the outage.
Starlink, which serves more than 6 million users in around 140 countries and territories, acknowledged the disruption on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, stating that efforts were underway to resolve the issue. Service was largely restored after two and a half hours, according to Michael Nicolls, vice president of Starlink Engineering. He confirmed that the outage was caused by a failure in essential internal software systems responsible for running the core network and apologised for the inconvenience.
Elon Musk also issued an apology on X, promising that SpaceX would address the root cause to prevent future occurrences.
The rare disruption prompted speculation among industry experts regarding whether it was the result of a faulty software update, a system glitch, or a cyberattack. Doug Madory of the internet analysis firm Kentik noted the global scale of the outage and described it as highly unusual, suggesting it may be Starlink’s most prolonged service disruption since becoming a major internet provider.
As Starlink's user base expands, SpaceX has been upgrading its network to meet rising demand for higher speeds and greater bandwidth. The company is also working with T-Mobile to deploy more powerful satellites that can support direct-to-cell messaging, especially for emergency use in remote areas.
Since 2020, SpaceX has launched over 8,000 Starlink satellites, establishing a widespread low-Earth orbit network that appeals to military clients, transport industries, and rural consumers without reliable fibre internet access.
Gregory Falco, director of a space and cybersecurity lab at Cornell University, speculated that the cause could have been a flawed software update, drawing parallels to the widespread outage caused by a CrowdStrike update in 2024 that disrupted global internet services and Microsoft Windows systems.
It remains unclear whether the outage also impacted SpaceX’s other satellite services, including Starshield, its defence-focused unit with significant U.S. government contracts.
Meanwhile, Reuters reported on Friday that Elon Musk had previously ordered a partial shutdown of Starlink services during a key phase of Ukraine’s counteroffensive against Russian forces in September 2022.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment