China hosts largest ever SCO summit as South Caucasus draws attention
The 25th Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit began in Tianjin on 31 August, marking the largest gathering in the bloc’s history, with China dee...
U.S. President Donald Trump says Coca-Cola has agreed to use real cane sugar in the U.S., though the company has not confirmed the claim.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Coca-Cola has agreed to use real cane sugar in its American formula following his suggestion. Writing on his social media site, Trump stated that the company had agreed and called the move "just better." However, Coca-Cola has not officially confirmed any change.
“We appreciate the enthusiasm,” a Coca-Cola spokesperson said in a statement, adding that the company would share details about new offerings soon. The firm has imported glass bottles of Mexican Coke made with cane sugar to the U.S. since 2005, but most of its domestic production uses high-fructose corn syrup.
Trump’s announcement comes as Coca-Cola Zero Sugar continues to grow in popularity. Sales of the zero-sugar variant rose 14 percent globally in the first quarter of 2025, compared to a 2 percent increase in overall Coca-Cola case volume. Coke Zero Sugar was the seventh best-selling soft drink by volume in the U.S. last year, with a 4 percent market share, compared to Coca-Cola's total share of 19 percent.
Beverage Digest editor Duane Stanford said zero-sugar drinks are driving significant growth. Rival PepsiCo reported that 60 percent of its second-quarter volume in major markets came from low- or no-sugar products.
Still, any change to Coca-Cola's sweeteners would not affect Trump’s preferred drink, Diet Coke, which uses aspartame.
The Corn Refiners Association criticized Trump’s push to switch sweeteners. President John Bode said replacing corn syrup with cane sugar would hurt American jobs and farm income while increasing sugar imports without offering nutritional benefits.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Malaysia marked its 68th National Day on Sunday with a vibrant parade in Putrajaya attended by over 14,000 participants and the country’s top leadership.
Norway will purchase a fleet of British-built frigates to reinforce its naval strength, the government confirmed on Sunday. The move marks a decisive step in what is expected to be the country’s largest-ever military procurement and a significant boost to NATO’s northern maritime defences.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several regional parliament buildings set on fire.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment