WUF13 in Baku highlights public-private cooperation on sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum 13 (WUF13) in Baku has placed a strong emphasis on strengthening cooperation between the pub...
France has ended its permanent military presence in Senegal, handing over its last base in Dakar and closing a significant chapter of colonial legacy.
France officially concluded its long-standing military presence in Senegal on Thursday by transferring control of its last major facility, Camp Geille, in Dakar. The ceremony marked the end of more than two centuries of French military footprint in the West African nation and symbolised a broader shift away from colonial-era influence in the region.
General Pascal Ianni, commander of French forces in Africa, handed over the keys to the camp as the Senegalese national anthem played and the national flag was raised. "Today's transfer of Camp Geille marks a new stage in the evolution of the partnership between our two armed forces," Ianni said. "It is a response to the Senegalese authorities' wish to no longer have permanent foreign forces present on their territory."
Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye had previously declared that the continued presence of French military bases was incompatible with national sovereignty. France and Senegal agreed to complete the withdrawal by the end of 2025, beginning the process in March with the handover of two other facilities in Dakar.
Unlike the abrupt and contentious departures of French forces from Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger, the transition in Senegal has been cooperative and symbolic, reflecting a mutual desire to redefine the relationship on more equal terms. In recent years, several African nations have pushed back against what they see as lingering colonial ties, with some turning to other partners for defence and security support.
Chad, another key Western ally, ended its defence pact with France last year, forcing a withdrawal of French troops from its territory.
While France reduces its physical footprint in West and Central Africa, it has stated it will continue to support regional partners through training, intelligence sharing, and limited deployments upon request. General Mbaye Cisse, head of Senegal’s armed forces, confirmed that cooperation would continue under a new framework. "We wish all our comrades and their families a safe return to France," he said.
The withdrawal also comes amid growing calls in Senegal for France to address historical grievances, including the 1944 massacre of African soldiers who fought for France during World War Two.
As the Senegalese flag now flies above Camp Geille, the handover stands as a potent symbol of a nation's determination to move beyond its colonial past and shape a future rooted in sovereignty and self-reliance.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump administration official. The move marks a significant escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against Cuba’s communist leadership.
The red carpet had barely been rolled up after Donald Trump’s departure before Beijing was laying it out again. Vladimir Putin arrived in the Chinese capital on Wednesday for talks with Xi Jinping, just days after Trump’s own high-profile visit.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen discussed Türkiye-EU relations and rising Middle East tensions during a phone call on Tuesday.
The visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin to China, just days after U.S. President Donald Trump left Beijing, has highlighted intensifying great-power signalling amid a rapidly fragmenting global order.
The European Union has moved closer to implementing tariff cuts under last year’s U.S. trade agreement after negotiators agreed on a provisional legislative text.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment