China finds potentially easier-to-mine rare earth deposits in northeastern provinces
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove che...
The UK government plans to lower the voting age to 16, enabling approximately 1.5 million 16 and 17-year-olds to vote in the next general election.
This change will be introduced as part of a new Elections Bill, which also includes expanding acceptable voter ID to UK-issued bank cards, moving towards automatic voter registration, and tightening rules on political donations to guard against foreign influence.
Although 16-year-olds can already vote in some elections in Scotland and Wales, the voting age remains 18 for UK-wide and English local elections.
"They're old enough to go out to work, they're old enough to pay taxes ... and I think if you pay in, you should have the opportunity to say what you want your money spent on, which way the government should go," Prime Minister Keir Starmer told ITV News.
Minister at the Minstry of Housing, Communities and Local Government Rushanara Ali described the move as “seismic” and said it would give young people a greater voice in the democratic process.
Ali noted the policy would compel politicians to prioritise youth concerns on issues such as crime, education, employment, and housing.
Voter ID
Labour previously opposed voter ID laws introduced in 2023, but now aims to resolve inconsistencies without fully abolishing the policy. Under new proposals, digital bank cards could be accepted as ID, provided proper safeguards are implemented to prevent misuse.
The government is also developing an automated voter registration system to help tackle the problem of nearly seven million UK residents being missing or incorrectly listed on the electoral register, particularly among young people and renters.
Additionally, reforms to political donation rules are being proposed to prevent foreign interference. Parties would need to verify the UK or Irish ties of companies donating to them, ensuring they are based, owned, or significantly operated in the UK or Ireland and capable of funding donations through post-tax profits. The Electoral Commission’s power to impose fines would increase to a maximum of £500,000 (around $669,000) for breaches of these rules.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment