India and Brazil sign mining agreement as Modi aims for $20 billion trade by 2031
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim t...
Thailand has extradited Chinese national She Zhijiang to China, where he faces trial for running illegal online casinos and laundering money via Myanmar, Thai police confirmed on Wednesday.
She Zhijiang, 43, was handed over to Chinese authorities at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport on Wednesday, following the conclusion of a lengthy legal process that began with his arrest in August 2022 on an Interpol red notice issued at Beijing’s request.
Thai police said She, who also holds Cambodian citizenship, is accused of operating illegal gambling websites and using Myanmar as a base for laundering illicit proceeds. His extradition followed a Thai criminal court order in May 2024, which was upheld on appeal earlier this week.
“This suspect is a high priority for China,” said Police Lieutenant General Jirabhop Bhuridej. Chinese officials expressed gratitude to Thailand for its cooperation, with embassy counsellor Zhao Mengtao saying the move demonstrated “a high level of cooperation” between the two countries in combatting organised crime.
Zhao added that China and Thailand plan to deepen joint efforts against online gambling and cyber scams.
She’s lawyer, Sanya Eadjongdee, described the extradition process as “unusual” but did not provide further details. He said She maintains his innocence.
At the time of his arrest, She was reported to be behind a sprawling $15 billion casino and tourism project called Shwe Kokko, located along the Thai-Myanmar border. The site has been linked to criminal networks and cyber scam operations in Southeast Asia.
In September, the U.S. Treasury Department imposed sanctions on nine companies and individuals tied to Shwe Kokko for alleged involvement in trafficking and regional scam networks.
Border areas between Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia have become hubs for online fraud since the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the United Nations, billions of dollars have been generated from trafficking operations that have forced hundreds of thousands of people into labour in scam compounds.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Gianni Infantino, president of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), announced a new partnership with the Board of Peace on Thursday (19 February), committing to build football pitches and arenas in Gaza as part of broader efforts to rebuild the region.
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
Türkiye is prepared to contribute troops to a proposed international stabilisation force for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Thursday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment