Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Vatican City, February 20, 2025 – Pope Francis will not appear in public on Sunday to lead his customary prayer with pilgrims, marking the second consecutive week of absence, the Vatican announced on Saturday.
The decision comes as the pontiff remains hospitalized at Rome’s Gemelli Hospital, where he has been receiving treatment for double pneumonia since February 14 after experiencing several days of breathing difficulties.
In a brief statement, the Vatican noted that the pope had “rested well” overnight, though it did not specify whether he had risen or taken breakfast, as had been reported in previous updates. Instead of the usual live recitation of the Sunday Angelus prayer, the Holy See press office said that the text would be published.
Doctors have described the pope’s condition as “complex,” with his double pneumonia caused by two or more micro-organisms—a serious infection that can inflame and scar the lungs, impairing breathing. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Dr. Sergio Alfieri, a senior member of the Gemelli staff, stated, “The pope is not out of danger. The situation could go either way.”
While his medical team has assured that the condition is not currently life-threatening, the pope’s continued absence from public duties underscores the severity of his illness. The Vatican’s latest announcement comes as the papacy navigates the challenges of his ongoing treatment and recovery.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia has confirmed its first case of H5N1 bird flu in a mammal after the virus was detected in a dead long-nosed fur seal in South Australia, authorities said.
Malaysia is facing a sharp rise in dengue infections, with the capital Kuala Lumpur and the wider Klang Valley emerging as the main centres of concern.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases, with the death toll reaching 2,378, according to the latest government data.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment