live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that his playing career is nearing its end, saying the 2026-27 season will “probably” be his last in professional football.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the comments in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, days after marrying his longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in Portugal.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.
Ronaldo remains under contract with Saudi Pro League side Al-Nassr until 2027 and enters the season within reach of another major milestone: 1,000 career goals. He has scored 976 goals for club and country, according to Reuters.
Ronaldo said he was already preparing for retirement after a professional career spanning nearly 25 years.
“I have my future all mapped out,” he told Vogue, adding that he plans to spend more time with his family, travel and continue playing the racquet sport padel.
“Football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one,” he said.
Ronaldo began his senior career with Sporting CP in 2002 before spells at Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. He joined Al-Nassr in 2023.
Over his career, he has won five Ballon d’Or awards and five Champions League titles, as well as league championships in England, Spain and Italy. With Portugal, he won Euro 2016 and remains the leading goalscorer in men’s international football.
The interview was released shortly after Ronaldo and Rodríguez married in an intimate ceremony at their home in Cascais, Portugal, on 11 August, exactly 10 years after they first met.
The couple chose a small ceremony centred around their family rather than a large celebration. Rodríguez told Vogue afterwards that the wedding was “intimate, full of love”, with their family playing the central role.
Ronaldo suggested that after decades dominated by football, retirement would give him the opportunity to enjoy the results of those sacrifices.
“After all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice,” he said.
Wildfires across England and Wales have reached their highest level on record, according to the National Fire Chiefs Council, as firefighters struggle to contain outbreaks following a spell of extreme heat.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Four artworks by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina have been stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina, Italy's culture minister said on Sunday, expressing confidence in the police inquiry.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has changed Eurovision Song Contest rules to allow a winning country to be blocked from hosting if security risks, armed conflict or geopolitical tensions make it unsafe to stage the event.
Each summer, Gabala becomes a gathering point for artists, musicians and audiences from across Azerbaijan and beyond.
Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey has surpassed $1.1 billion at the global box office, becoming the highest-grossing film of the director’s career.
Several Taylor Swift songs have disappeared from social media videos posted by U.S. President Donald Trump's campaign and the White House, after the best-selling pop star's music featured in two separate clips over the past week.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment