San Diego Mosque Attack: Expert says there is a global connection driving these attacks
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic...
Australia is set to accelerate A$1 billion in defence expenditure in Tuesday’s federal budget, as part of a broader effort to enhance its military capabilities, Defence Minister Richard Marles announced on Monday.
Marles outlined that the federal budget would include an increase of A$10.6 billion (US$6.66 billion) for defence over the next four years—a key component of a previously announced A$50 billion boost over a decade. He described this package as the most significant surge in defence spending since the end of World War II.
Speaking at the Avalon Air Show in Victoria, Marles emphasized that the accelerated spending would enable Australia to fast-track critical projects, including the development of guided weapons manufacturing capabilities, the establishment of an AUKUS submarine base at HMAS Stirling in Western Australia, and the procurement of a new frigate into the service fleet within the decade.
“This additional A$1 billion is necessary to accelerate our capability and development,” Marles said, highlighting that the funds will facilitate readying HMAS Stirling and launching the Henderson Defence Precinct as the base for the Submarine Rotational Force West. He also noted that the move will help advance the Guided Weapons and Explosives Enterprise at a faster pace.
Under the AUKUS pact, up to four U.S.-commanded and one British-commanded nuclear-powered submarines are expected to rotate through Australia’s largest naval base from 2027. The early injection of funds will also support the broader strategy of enhancing long-range strike capabilities.
In related developments, Australia has already received the first two of 42 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) launcher vehicles ordered from Lockheed Martin. Brigadier Nick Wilson explained that the mobile, truck-mounted system—used in the war in Ukraine—will significantly enhance the nation's ability to deploy coastal operations, as it can be easily transported by ship or via C-17 and C-130 aircraft.
Defence Industry Minister Pat Conroy added that the Precision Strike Missile, with a 500-kilometre range, is slated for delivery this year to integrate with the HIMARS, further bolstering Australia’s regional strike capabilities.
The move comes amid ongoing pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump and other security allies for Australia to increase its defence spending, reflecting heightened regional security challenges and the need for a modernised military infrastructure.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
Kevin Warsh will be sworn in as chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve on Friday as policymakers consider higher interest rates to tackle inflation linked to the Trump administration’s Iran policy.
A government-mediated agreement has suspended an 18-day walkout by about 48,000 Samsung union members, easing fears of damage to South Korea's economy and global chip supply.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Elon Musk’s SpaceX will have to improve its reliability before receiving approval for its target 10,000 launches annually within five years, Bryan Bedford, Head of the U.S. civil aviation agency, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), has said.
Demand for electric vehicles has surged across Europe as elevated fuel prices linked to the Iran conflict push consumers toward new and second-hand EVs, according to data shared with Reuters. It is providing a boost to an auto industry that has struggled with slower-than-expected adoption.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment