Ukraine and allies boycott Paralympics opening over Russia and Belarus athletes
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 Mar...
Ukraine has warned that any Russian attempt to link the occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant to its own energy grid would represent a serious breach of international law and a direct attack on Ukrainian sovereignty.
The statement, reported by Ukraine’s national news agency Ukrinform and citing an unnamed Kyiv official, comes following increasing concerns over the safety of Europe’s largest nuclear power facility, currently under Russian control.
Ukraine has formally protested to the IAEA over Russia’s attempts to connect the plant to its grid, condemning the move as a violation of international law and Ukrainian sovereignty. IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi has stated a restart might be possible following a ceasefire, though he claims Russia is “professionally managing” the site—a position Kyiv disputes.
Russian forces seized the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant (ZNPP) on March 4, 2022. Following the takeover, all six reactors were gradually shut down, with the final reactor ceasing operation in 2023. Since then, it has remained a volatile flashpoint near the front lines along the Dnipro River. In August 2024, a fire at one of its cooling towers raised alarm internationally, with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirming smoke and explosions at the site.
Petro Kotin, head of Ukraine’s nuclear operator Energoatom, has warned that restarting the plant under occupation is unsafe and practically impossible. Key challenges include insufficient cooling water, unreliable power supply, and lack of qualified staff.
Despite these risks, Russia is building a high-voltage power line in the temporarily occupied Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk regions, potentially enabling the restart of the seized Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), Greenpeace Ukraine reports.
Satellite analysis shows construction of 15 pylons and over 5 kilometers of power lines between May 11 and 22, 2025, northeast of Mariupol. The total planned line will stretch about 90–100 kilometers, linking the plant near Melitopol to substations in both Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk regions.
Greenpeace warns that restarting the plant under these conditions carries a high risk of catastrophic failure, citing obstacles like insufficient water supply.
In early May 2025, Sergey Kiriyenko, senior Kremlin official, visited the plant urging preparations for power generation under Russian standards.
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi said a restart could be possible months after a ceasefire, while noting Russia is “professionally managing” the site. Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry condemns Russia’s actions and urges the IAEA to increase pressure to prevent illegitimate control over the plant, which has been under Russian occupation since March 2022.
With no ceasefire in sight and the plant in an active war zone, Zaporizhzhia remains a symbol of the ongoing nuclear danger posed by the conflict.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
The United States and international partners have announced billions of dollars in pledges to rebuild Gaza but many Palestinians remain sceptical about whether the funds will translate into tangible improvements for daily life.
The U.S. Supreme Court has struck down President Trump's sweeping tariffs on Friday (20 February), which he imposed under a law intended for national emergencies.
The former Prince Andrew’s brief arrest on Thursday (19 February) has highlighted the challenges of prosecuting alleged misconduct in public office, with potential implications for the British monarchy’s public role, according to political analyst Nuno Wahnon Martins.
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way for the procedure to go ahead, the court said on Friday (20 February).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment