San Diego Mosque Attack: Expert says there is a global connection driving these attacks
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic...
Peace talks between the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the M23 rebel group, mediated by Angola, will start on 18 March in Luanda. The conflict in eastern Congo has displaced thousands.
Peace talks between the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the M23 rebel group, mediated by Angola with the aim of ending the conflict in eastern Congo, are set to commence on 18 March in Angola’s capital, Luanda, the Angolan president’s office announced on Wednesday.
The date was confirmed a day after Angola revealed that the government in Kinshasa had agreed to engage in direct negotiations with the M23 rebels, following a visit to Luanda by Congolese President Félix Tshisekedi.
“In light of the efforts undertaken by Angolan mediation regarding the conflict affecting the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the government of the Republic of Angola announces that delegations from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the M23 will begin direct peace talks on 18 March in Luanda,” the president’s office stated.
Angolan President João Lourenço serves as the African Union’s peace mediator for the conflict in Congo.
Tina Salama, spokesperson for President Tshisekedi, said Kinshasa had “taken note” of Angola’s mediation efforts.
Since December, the rebel group has intensified its offensive in eastern Congo, seizing the provincial capitals of Goma and Bukavu.
Last week, the rebels captured Nyabiondo, located 110 kilometres (68 miles) northwest of Goma in North Kivu province, following several days of intense fighting with government forces and the pro-government militia Wazalendo.
The conflict has displaced thousands of residents, forcing them to flee to surrounding territories and neighbouring countries, according to the UN.
Congo and other parties accuse neighbouring Rwanda of supporting the M23 rebels, though Rwanda has denied the allegations.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment