Pakistan adds 12 sites to UNESCO tentative list, taking total to 37
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's r...
Prince Harry, Sir Elton John and five other high-profile claimants could face a legal bill of up to $46 million after losing their privacy lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail, London's High Court heard on Wednesday.
The group brought legal action against Associated Newspapers, alleging its titles had engaged in unlawful information-gathering practices, including phone hacking. Earlier this month, however, Judge Matthew Nicklin dismissed the claims in full, ruling that the claimants had failed to prove the information published about them had been obtained illegally.
Associated Newspapers hailed the judgment as a major victory for press freedom, while Prince Harry criticised the decision, describing it as a "complete and obvious whitewash".
During Wednesday's costs hearing, Associated Newspapers argued that the claimants should pay its legal fees on an indemnity basis, a higher standard that would make it more difficult for the losing side to challenge the amount claimed.
The publisher told the court it had incurred legal costs of $46 million, while the claimants' insurance policy covers only about $21 million, leaving a significant shortfall.
Associated is also seeking an interim payment of approximately $13.3 million while the final costs are determined.
Antony White, representing Associated Newspapers, accused the claimants of making sweeping allegations without sufficient evidence, arguing that this had significantly increased the publisher's legal costs. He also criticised Prince Harry's public statement following the judgment, calling it "entirely inappropriate and unreasonable".
Lawyers for the claimants rejected the publisher's request for indemnity costs, describing the $46 million bill as "eye-watering" and far above the court-approved litigation budget. They have instead offered an interim payment of about $10.6 million, to be made by 28 August.
The claimants' legal team also confirmed that any application to appeal Judge Nicklin's ruling has been postponed until after the court reaches a decision on legal costs.
The hearing is expected to continue on Thursday (30 July), when the court will hear further arguments before deciding how much of Associated Newspapers' legal expenses the claimants will ultimately have to pay.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a boat carrying migrants sank off the Tunisian coast while attempting to reach Italy, according to the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.
AnewZ has launched Business Europe, a new weekday programme examining the companies, decision-makers and economic forces shaping the continent's future, with Brickken CEO Edwin Mata joining the first episode.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment