Moscow fuel queues add to pressure on Russia’s rouble
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia&...
Paraguay and Morocco produced two of the biggest shocks of the FIFA World Cup 2026, knocking out former champions Germany and the Netherlands on penalties to book their places in the Round of 16.
Paraguay pulled off one of the tournament's biggest upsets by eliminating four-time champions Germany on penalties after a 1-1 draw in Monterrey.
Paraguay struck first before Germany fought back to force extra time, but the South Americans held their nerve to win the shootout 4-3.
The result marked Germany's first-ever FIFA World Cup penalty shootout defeat and another disappointing knockout-stage exit for the 2014 champions, who have not won a knockout match at the tournament since lifting the trophy in Brazil.
Fans celebrated across Asunción, with President Santiago Peña declaring a public holiday after the historic victory.
"I think Paraguay played the way we have been playing throughout the qualifiers, where we kept winning. Now, at the World Cup, we showed we have a lot of courage and the ability to beat the big teams," fan Alan Cáceres said.
Paraguay, whose best FIFA World Cup finish remains a quarter-final appearance in 2010, will now face either France or Sweden in the Round of 16.
In Germany, disappointed supporters questioned the team's performance, although many defended coach Julian Nagelsmann despite the early exit.
"I'm very sad. I could cry with rage," German fan Hussein said.
"But I'm still proud. We fought right until the end. Penalty shoot-outs are a thankless business."
Morocco also advanced after beating the Netherlands 3-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw. Ismael Saibari converted the decisive spot-kick after goalkeeper Yassine Bounou saved Crysencio Summerville's attempt, sending Morocco into the Round of 16.
Coach Mohamed Ouahbi said his team had earned global respect and were inspired by the millions watching back home.
"Morocco has gained everybody's respect now. We've shown it," Ouahbi told reporters after the match.
Morocco will now face co-hosts Canada in the next round.
Dutch coach Ronald Koeman defended his cautious tactical approach after the defeat, saying the system had been agreed with his players.
The victories send Paraguay and Morocco into the Round of 16, while Germany and the Netherlands head home after two of the tournament's biggest knockout-stage upsets.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment